We are here to listen, learn & help

FREE 30-Minute Telephone/Virtual Consultation

Providing The Advice & Guidance You & Your
Family Need To Make Informed Decisions

Office Building Of Kroener Hale Law Firm

Providing The Advice & Guidance You & Your Family Need To Make Informed Decisions

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child And Spousal Support
  4.  » Can I modify my spousal support order?

Can I modify my spousal support order?

On Behalf of | Jul 21, 2020 | Child And Spousal Support

The purpose of spousal support is to help your spouse maintain a fair standard of living after the divorce. If circumstances change, however, you may find yourself unable to provide a reasonable standard of living for yourself. This can be due to a lost job, injury or many other situations that cause you hardship.

If you find it difficult to make your spousal support payments, you may be able to request a modification through the courts. Make sure to do this as soon as possible to prevent any legal or financial trouble. The court does not look favorably on people who just stop making payments instead of filing for a modification.

When can you modify your spousal support?

According to FindLaw experts, you can only modify your spousal support order if the divorce decree allows you to do so. This means that you must include a provision to modify the order in your divorce decree when you and your spouse establish it. As long as that provision exists, you can request a modification.

In addition to the provision, only certain changes in circumstances are eligible for modification. This includes an unintentional decrease in your income or the unexpected introduction of large medical or living expenses.

What happens if I quit my job?

Similar to a child support order, quitting your job does not excuse you from having to pay your spousal support. Unfortunately, it is unlikely the judge will grant a modification if you willingly leave your job. By definition, a modification is typically granted only if the decrease of your income is not intentional.


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network