Kroener Hale Law Firm
contact Menu
Call 513-716-5940We are here to listen, learn & help

TEXTS ONLY: 513-828-7510

TEXTS ONLY: 513-828-7510

What you should know about guardianship of a minor

You may find yourself in a situation in which you want to seek guardianship of a minor child, possibly a family member. This is an appropriate course of action if you want to support and care for a child who is under the age of 18 and cannot, for any reason, live with his or her parents. Seeking guardianship can be a complex process, but it may be the right way to protect the interests of the child and your own interests.

A guardian is someone who would act in the best interests of someone who is not able to make decisions for himself or herself. As the guardian of a minor child, you would be responsible for the care of that child, his or her financial needs, medical care and more. It is not an easy task, and you will have certain obligations you will have to fulfill.

Facts about guardianship

Pursuing guardianship of a minor child is not something to take lightly. As the legal guardian, you will carry an immense amount of responsibility. Your obligations to the minor will only end in the following situations:

  • The child dies
  • The child turns 18 years of age
  • There is no longer a need to oversee his or her finances because of depletion of funds
  • A judge decides there is no longer a need for the child to have a guardian
  • You ask a court to relieve you of your role as guardian

Having guardianship over a child is not the same thing as adopting the child. If you are considering this step or wondering if adoption is a better option, it is beneficial to first seek a full understanding of your options and your potential role in both scenarios.

Guidance for complex legal concerns

There are a wide range of circumstances in which it would be appropriate to seek guardianship of a child under the age of 18. However, like other legal process, this can be a complex legal undertaking, and you may not want to walk through it alone. It is prudent to seek guidance from an experienced Ohio legal professional who can guide you toward the most beneficial outcome for your individual situation.

When you seek the help of an attorney, you can also learn more about your job as the guardian. This includes how to keep up with your actions on behalf of the child and account for the decisions you made regarding finances, medical care, housing and more.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Take Action Today. Call 513-716-5940 To Talk To An Experienced And Compassionate Attorney.

Email Us For a Response

Tell Us More About Your Legal Issue

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact information

Kroener Hale Law Firm
101 N. Riverside Dr.
Batavia, OH 45103

Phone: 513-716-5940
Phone: 513-828-7510
Fax: 513-297-7227
Batavia Law Office Map

West Chester Office
9078 Union Centre Blvd
Suite 350
West Chester, OH 45069

West Chester Law Office Map

Cincinnati Office
312 Walnut Street
Suite 1600
Cincinnati, OH 45202

Cincinnati Law Office Map

Texts Only: 513-828-7510

With offices in Batavia, Cincinnati and West Chester, Ohio we serve clients throughout Clermont and Hamilton Counties