Kroener Hale Law Firm
contact Menu
Call 513-716-5940We are here to listen, learn & help

TEXTS ONLY: 513-828-7510

TEXTS ONLY: 513-828-7510

Establishing paternity: Basic facts

Typically, it is easy to determine whom the mother of a child is, which is why you don't often hear of establishing maternity. When a mother simply lists a man on the birth certificate, it does not necessarily mean that she has proved true paternity. Most people know that DNA testing verifies paternity, but other ways may establish it as well.

If you want to know who the legal or biological father of a child is, you will need to undergo the paternity process. When paternity is legally established, this does come with legal ramifications for mother, father and child. Ensuring that the child's needs are provided for is one possible reason for establishing paternity.

Voluntary versus involuntary paternity

There are two types of paternity actions, voluntary and involuntary. When a child is born to a married couple, or when a man voluntarily acknowledges responsibility for fathering the child through legal means, this also constitutes voluntary paternity. Another type of voluntary paternity occurs when a man welcomes a child into his home and a court grants him equitable parental custody rights.

If a man does not wish to acknowledge that he is the child's biological father, and denies the child, the courts may still deem him responsible. The mother or the state can request a paternity test. Usually, a DNA test, which is said to be 99 percent effective, establishes involuntary paternity.

What does establishing paternity mean for me?

Depending on your relationship to the father, an establishment of paternity can have different legal significance for you.

  • If you are the father -- If you are the father, paternity establishes your responsibility for the child's support and care. You will be able to request custody of the child as the father, and you will be responsible for child support.
  • If you are the mother -- If you are the mother of the child, you will be able to request financial support for the child. You may also have to share custody with the father or allow visitation. You and the father can make decisions regarding custody and support, or the courts make these decisions if you are unable to come to an agreement.
  • If you are the child -- If you are the child, you will know the identity of your father. You will be able to access information about any known health risks for the father's bloodline. You will be eligible to receive financial support from your father, and you will have the right to see and visit with him. In the event of your father's premature death in an accident, you may be able to receive workers' compensation benefits (if the death occurred in a work-related accident) or have the right to sue for wrongful death.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Take Action Today. Call 513-716-5940 To Talk To An Experienced And Compassionate Attorney.

Email Us For a Response

Tell Us More About Your Legal Issue

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact information

Kroener Hale Law Firm
101 N. Riverside Dr.
Batavia, OH 45103

Phone: 513-716-5940
Phone: 513-828-7510
Fax: 513-297-7227
Batavia Law Office Map

West Chester Office
9078 Union Centre Blvd
Suite 350
West Chester, OH 45069

West Chester Law Office Map

Cincinnati Office
312 Walnut Street
Suite 1600
Cincinnati, OH 45202

Cincinnati Law Office Map

Texts Only: 513-828-7510

With offices in Batavia, Cincinnati and West Chester, Ohio we serve clients throughout Clermont and Hamilton Counties