Kroener Hale Law Firm
contact Menu
Call 513-716-5940We are here to listen, learn & help

TEXTS ONLY: 513-828-7510

TEXTS ONLY: 513-828-7510

Changing a child support order in Ohio

Divorce or separation brings many significant changes to an Ohio family, and financial changes can continue to impact one or both parents for years to come. In some cases, one parent may find it difficult to continue to meet the financial obligations set forth by the original child support order.

Ohio law recognizes that there are circumstances that may merit a modification to an existing order. Whether one parent needs more support for the care or his or her children or the non-custodial parent is no longer able to make regular payments, there are legal options available.

Who can obtain a modification?

In Ohio, either parent has the right to seek a modification. It is possible to request a review 36 months from the establishment of the original order or the last requested review. Not everyone who requests a review or adjustment will receive it, but some of the most common reasons that parents seek modifications include:

  • Non-custodial or paying parent lost his or her job and has not been employed for a period of at least 30 days
  • There has been at least a 30 percent decrease in the supporting parent's gross income
  • Supporting parent has experienced a disabling injury
  • One child has been diagnosed with a special need or medical condition
  • Health care needs or requirements have changed
  • Supporting parent now earns more money than when the order was first established
  • Supporting parent now has other biological children to support

Any significant change in financial circumstances could be grounds for a change to an order. Parents have the right to request a review and adjustment. If you believe that you may be eligible for a modification, you would be wise to take action by going through the appropriate legal channels in order to secure necessary changes.

Your need for an experienced legal ally

It is beneficial to seek the changes you need by first turning to an experienced legal ally. With the help of an attorney, you can better understand your options for a potential modification and move forward with the most appropriate course of action.

Verbal agreements are not legally binding, and despite a willingness to adjust or change support amounts for a time, both parents will find it best to protect their rights by meeting the requirements necessary to secure any changes to a child support order.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Take Action Today. Call 513-716-5940 To Talk To An Experienced And Compassionate Attorney.

Email Us For a Response

Tell Us More About Your Legal Issue

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact information

Kroener Hale Law Firm
101 N. Riverside Dr.
Batavia, OH 45103

Phone: 513-716-5940
Phone: 513-828-7510
Fax: 513-297-7227
Batavia Law Office Map

West Chester Office
9078 Union Centre Blvd
Suite 350
West Chester, OH 45069

West Chester Law Office Map

Cincinnati Office
312 Walnut Street
Suite 1600
Cincinnati, OH 45202

Cincinnati Law Office Map

Texts Only: 513-828-7510

With offices in Batavia, Cincinnati and West Chester, Ohio we serve clients throughout Clermont and Hamilton Counties